Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire engagement ring with mixed metals

Michelle1982

Rough_Rock
So I just joined this and have been trying to find an affordable wedding set. I decided to get a Chatham sapphire from Africa Gems (6.5 mm 1.55 carats) and I love it! I have to take it to get set so in the photos I just placed it on top of a setting I got from Etsy. It is a white gold solitaire and I decided I didn't want side stones because I want the stone to get all the attention and I wanted a very classic wedding set look, even though the stone will be blue and not a diamond.

I decided to try a yellow gold wedding band that arrived today from Ebay. It is 2 mm and the engagement ring band is 2.36 mm. I was pretty excited about mixing metals because I think white gold matches the blue color better but yellow gold IMO is a prettier color and can contrast against the blue and make it pop.

So it arrived and now I am just not sure....I feel like maybe it is too plain? Or if I am going to be so plain I might as well just get a white gold in 2.5 mm to match better and look more coherent.

Maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet? I would love to hear how you think this all goes together.

In the photos I just placed the stone on top loose so it may be a little crooked but you can get a sense of what it will look like. Thank you! 20200401_154459.jpg 20200401_154505.jpg

LilAlex

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it's pretty. I prefer white metal with blue sapphire -- but I get that you're trying to tie it to the yellow-gold band.

Getting a mounting that can accommodate side stones, plus sourcing those side stones (e.g., diamonds) would be several multiples of what you've spent already, I'm guessing -- for a small synthetic sapphire and pre-made mounting.

Tartansparkles

Shiny_Rock
To my eye both rings are beautiful and I think the style is simple and striking, not plain. I'm a fan of yellow gold but in this instance I'm finding it ...distracting. But what matters is what you prefer and how the look matches your own style.

Gorgeous coloured sapphire, congrats :)

MillieLou

Rough_Rock
I think it's stunning! That's exactly the look I'm going for as I search for a sapphire, ie solitaire and plain band. The mixed metals is pretty. I wonder if not matched, it could be a bit more contrasting eg a carved yg band?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a white gold band would look better but I'm not against mixing metals, if you like it that's all that counts.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Most viewed threads

blog 7
    blog 7
    blog 5
    post 3
    post 3

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.